Thursday, September 11, 2008

One of the First Projects

This group of hats and scarves is one of the first projects that I set about and completed. They were Christmas gifts (2006) for my husband's several young cousins, and they were quite fun to put together ... once I got the spring-opening scissors to assist with cutting all the fringe. 

The three bigger girls got hats and matching scarves; the baby got a hat and patchwork blanket. I tried to pick complimenting patterns for the two sets of sisters that tied together with the shared use of green. (The color balance on this photo is just NOT quite right; it wasn't that garish!) 

The blanket is true patchwork, in that I cobbled together the various scraps left from hats and scarves and stitched them as I went. I was pretty proud that it actually laid flat when finished, especially since I'd only started sewing at all a few months earlier.

I had a lot of fun with this project, but quickly realized that in order to be successful with making "all" your Christmas presents in any given year, you really need to start working in February! 

No comments: